It is yet unknown how many dogs fall victim to poisoning each year. But if you think your dog may be poisoned, visit an Atlanta vet as soon as possible.
Most of the cases recorded so far are caused by household substances. They are harmless to humans. However, it’s a different story if they are ingested by dogs.
You should know that some medication or food for people is poisonous to dogs.
Let’s have a look at the most common causes that lead to dog poisoning.
Medication Designed for Humans
Some meds that save your life can be fatal for dogs. If you love your dog, make sure you always keep your meds away from them. These are some of the most dangerous pills:
- Anti-inflammatory and pain medication – they cause stomach and intestinal ulcer and kidney failure
- Antidepressants – they can cause vomiting and seizures
- Blood pressure medication
What is helpful for you can be harmful to your dog. If you notice anything weird in its behavior, take it to an Atlanta vet immediately.
Flea and tick products are usually harmless to dogs if you use them accordingly. Still, while you may think you’re doing your dog a favor, it is easy to make a mistake.
If you think your dog ingested insecticides, go to an Atlanta vet as soon as possible.
Make sure you also ask the veterinarian how to use these products around the home. Small dogs will get sick if they are exposed to a large dose of insecticides.
Some types of cleaners can even be poisonous to humans – bleach, for example. But even the modern ones – advertised as safe – can be poisonous to dogs. If you ask an Atlanta vet, he/she will say they are one of the primary causes of dog poisoning.
The symptoms include:
- Stomach problems
- Respiratory tract problems
- Chemical burns
- Renal failure
Chemicals in antifreeze liquid or paint thinners are poisonous to dogs. They can even cause death.
Certain Foods Can Be Dangerous
Dogs often beg for food – even when they’re not hungry. Not giving them a bite of that chocolate could save their life, though.
Animals have a different metabolism compared to humans. While onions and garlic are safe for us, they are poisonous to them.
Here is a list of food you shouldn’t feed your dog:
- Chocolate – Can cause vomiting if ingested in small doses. A larger amount intoxicates the dog and can be fatal.
- Coffee – It has almost the same effect as chocolate.
- Alcohol – It poisons dogs, causing vomiting, breathing problems, inducing a coma and, in severe cases, leading to death.
- Avocado – They contain persin, a substance that causes vomiting and diarrhea.
- Grapes and raisins – The induce kidney failure when ingested, even in small amounts.
When you are dealing with a rat issue, the solution is often rodenticides. But that solution can also be deadly for your dogs. The worst part is that the symptoms depend on the nature of the poison. They also appear only after a couple of days.
In particular cases, the dog could just eat a poisoned rodent and get sick. So, it’s important to get your dog to a reliable vet in such a situation.
We have the most compassionate and dedicated veterinarians. If you need an Atlanta vet for your dog, you can quickly call us or contact us online.
You get the most recent advancements in diagnostic equipment. Here’s what other pet owners think about our clinic.